Sunday, February 5, 2012

Food

They say babies are ready to eat solids at 6 months. I waited for you to turn 7 months. I was excited, i even convinced daddy that we NEED an Avent steamer-blender to prepare your food. Of course, that was just a WANT. But, you didn't entertain any more than 1-2 baby spoons of food. So, off to the shelf the blender went and i waited.

I tried again at 8 months, but you would cry relentlessly whenever i place you in your chair. I even screamed at you once being so disappointed that you refused to eat yet again. Each time your bum touch the chair you would wail. Even if you would eat, all the puree would somehow leak out of your mouth, making feeding you really messy- which made me very annoyed. I gave up, i packed the blender to shelf again. Daddy also suggested we wait till you are ready and screw what the books say. If you are not ready to eat, you are not ready to eat.

I'm glad i heeded daddy's advice because now at 9months, it is such a pleasure feeding you. I noticed how you would look so longingly at our food and letting your saliva drool right down to your neck. Instead of a full solid meal, i decided to tease you, interest you to eating by giving you snacks here and there. I pinched bread, gave your Gerber puffs which you oh so love. The teasing worked, because you ate well when i first fed you with the jar food. I decided to test your interest first with jar food instead of wasting time in the kitchen. VIOLA! You ate and ate. So off to the kitchen i went! First, it was sweet potato and carrot. No, you didn't like that. :( Then i tried pumpkin- you loved it! Then i mixed the pumpkin with the sweet potato-carrot combo, it worked! Today, i fed you my favourite combo banana, avocado with pear-YUMS! You were lapping it up- much to mama's delight.

I am glad i waited for you to be ready. I am glad i didn't insist that you eat that would've scarred your first experience with food. I am glad we screwed the damn 'experts'. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment